Surge in millennial couples searching for 5* trips abroad as Thomas Cook makes its return
Young jetsetters are rushing to book luxury holidays abroad, according to travel company Thomas Cook, which relaunched yesterday [16th September] as an online-only business.
Thomas Cook, which is a member of ABTA, has seen a surge in young couples looking to book a getaway – with 43% of visitors to its new website under the age of 35, and more than two-thirds couples.
The number of those aged under 25 has more than doubled compared to the old Thomas Cook brand and website data from the same day two years ago, and visitors aged under 35 has increased by a third.
Sun-seekers are also keen to splash their cash on luxury holidays, with interest in 4 and 5-star hotels doubling. The top 5 most popular resorts include:
- Marmaris, Turkey
- Side, Turkey
- Paphos, Cyprus
- Icmeler, Turkey
- Fethiye, Turkey
Interest in Cyprus has more than tripled from 2018, with Greece and Italy also seeing a big rise in popularity, whilst interest in Spain has dropped by a third – reflecting the current travel corridors.
Emma King said: “Speaking to customers, after months of lockdown, couples in particular now seem keen to spread their wings and are looking to trade-up to high-end hotels given the great deals that are on offer at the moment. Prices for September and October holidays are way below where they’d normally be and it’s a great time to explore a new destination or return to an old favourite.“
Licensed by the CAA and Atol-protected, the new Thomas Cook is a purely online business via a new website www.thomascook.com offering customers thousands of hotels and flight routes so they can design their own holidays.
Fosun Tourism Group – one of the world’s largest leisure companies which also owns Club Med – acquired the brand and online assets of Thomas Cook in November last year.
Here are 5 deals for couples for the top 5 popular resorts:
- Marmaris, Turkey: Elegance Hotels International Marmaris – five star, all inclusive, 7 nights, return flights from London to Dalaman on 12th October from £803 (£401pp)
- Side, Turkey: Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & Spa – five star, all inclusive, 7 nights, flights from London to Side on 8th October from £870 (£435pp)
- Paphos, Cyprus: Annabelle – half board, 7 nights, return flights from London to Paphos on 31st October for £1,403 (£701pp)
- Icmeler, Turkey: Marti Resort Deluxe – five star, half board, 7 nights, flights from Liverpool to Dalaman on 27th October from £1,060 (£530pp)
- Fethiye, Turkey: Orka Sunlife Resort & Spa – five star, all inclusive, 7 nights, return flights from London to Fethiye on 14th October from £1,007 (£503pp)